We spoke to blogger Hannah of My Life Is For Living this week, who has shared a great recipe to give you some extra get-up-and-go this winter season and keep your energy levels up all morning long. Plus - it's a healthy breakfast recipe that contains chocolate! Pure brilliance.
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. Oatmeal is my go-to. Chocolate is an everyday requirement. I honestly don’t remember the day that I discovered I could combine all three, but since then, I’ve not looked back.
When asked if I’d like to share a recipe for Boudavida, this breakfast instantly came to mind as it’s easy to make and tastes delicious. I’ve called it a ‘winter warrior bowl’ as it is warming, creamy, perfectly sweet, satisfying, and healthy too! It’s packed full of nourishing ingredients, yet still manages to trick your taste buds into thinking you’re eating dessert for breakfast. In fact, I have occasionally made this for dessert, when the moment has grabbed me! For example, oats are a great source of complex carbohydrates, containing both soluble and insoluble fibre and raw cacao powder is an excellent source of immune boosting antioxidants. The maca powder adds a subtly malty flavour, which I love, and it has been suggested to help balance female hormones and boost energy too!
I know what you’re thinking… Surely a bowl of chocolatey oats can’t be a healthy breakfast? Well I challenge you to think otherwise. This simple breakfast bowl is balanced, deliciously chocolatey and warms you up from the inside out!
So without further ado, here’s the recipe…
Mylifeisforliving’s Chocolate Maca Oats
Time: 10 minutes
Serves: one hungry warrior
- Approximately 1/2 cup and 1 cup oats (depending on your appetite)
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1-2 tsp. maple syrup/honey (or ½ a mashed banana)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
Toppings (here’s Hannah’s favourite combo):
- 1 large dollop of yoghurt (for added protein)
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter (for those healthy fats)
- 1 tsp. cacao nibs (because chocolate is always a good idea)
- Fresh fruit
- Bee pollen
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly until thickened. *Alternatively, use a microwave.
- Mix all the ingredients in a heatproof bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring half way through, until thickened.
- Pour into a bowl, top to your hearts content, and enjoy!
My Life Is For Living: www.mylifeisforliving.com