Pumpkin Pie Recipe
With Halloween just around the corner and the festive season nearly upon us our resident baker @gluten_free_gaby has been inspired to bake a comforting and delicious Pumpkin Pie. Full of warming spices, this recipe is perfect for chilly days and is ideal to share with friends and family.
Pumpkins are packed full of vitamins and minerals, particularly potassium and beta-carotene which your body turns into vitamin A. They are filled with antioxidants, good for your skin and also provide a great source of fibre. What’s more, pumpkins are nutrient dense and so they are packed with nutrients while being low in calories.
This recipe is naturally sugar free, with the pumpkin adding sweetness and moisture making it utterly scrumptious! It uses coconut flour and cornflour and therefore is suitable for those who are gluten free. You could also use dairy free butter and cream alternatives to make this pie suitable for everyone.
You will need:
Spice ‘shortcrust’ pastry
½ tsp sea salt
120g coconut flour
1 tsp mixed spice
150g cold butter, cubed
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
A grating of nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tin pumpkin puree
¾ cup double cream
½ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Make the pastry by adding the butter, coconut flour, mixed spice and sea salt to a bowl and mix until it has the texture of breadcrumbs
- Whisk the eggs and add to the mix. Continue to mix until a crumbly dough has formed and then roll out between two sheets of baking paper
- Press into a pie dish, prick base with a fork and blind bake for 20 minutes
- Remove the pastry from the oven, cool slightly and reduce the temperature to 150C/ gas mark 2
- To make the filling mix the pumpkin puree, spices, cornflour, vanilla extract and sweetener together, then whisk in the eggs and cream
- Once well mixed pour the filling into the tart case and bake for 30 minutes until just set. Leave to cool and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions: We love this pie with an indulgent dollop of cream or ice cream!
Got any other pumpkin or festive recipes you’d like to share with us? Get in touch @boudavida