Broccoli has long been hailed as one of the 'superfood' vegetables, due to its nutrient makeup. Broccoli contains high levels of vitamin C, as well as vitamins A, E, B and K. It is also high in iron, potassium and calcium, with almost 20% of an adults RDA of calcium in just a single cup of broccoli.
The nutrient-rich properties of broccoli have meant that this mighty vegetable has been recommended to improve heart health, eye health, and has even been suggested to help to prevent cancer.
These Broccoli and Halloumi fritters are perfect for a simple, quick dinner, or even a brunch recipe. Plus, they can be easily stored in the fridge and chilled for up to two days after cooking, making them perfect to save for a dinner later in the week or to pop in a lunchbox for a meal on the go.
If you'd like to make this recipe gluten-free, try switching out the regular flour for chickpea or almond flour.
We've added in halloumi cheese to provide flavour and a little extra sticking-power, but if you prefer no dairy then perhaps try switching this out for another veg, like diced carrot, or a dairy-free cheese alternative.
You will need:
- 1 medium to large-sized broccoli, florets only, chopped into 1-inch size pieces
- 2 tbsp flour, or almond flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g halloumi, diced into small chunks
- Once small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or cooking oil spray
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Cook the broccoli in a steamer or by using a steamer basket over a small amount (3cm deep) of boiling water in a pan. Steam for approx. 5 mins or until the florets are tender. Drain off any excess water onto a paper towel and chop the broccoli into small pieces.
- Add the flour by tossing with the broccoli florets, and mix in the eggs. Add the lemon juice, water, diced halloumi and chopped coriander. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide the mixture into 4.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add a small amount of oil, or cooking oil spray. Place 2 of the 4 portions of fritter mixture into the pan and lightly fry on each side until golden brown (around 2-3 minutes each side). Once cooked, transfer to one side and leave to cool, then repeat frying the remaining 2 portions of fritter mixture.
Serve with a poached egg and a good dollop of soured cream and chives, or simply a wedge of lemon.
Tried the recipe? Share your culinary creations with us on social and tag @boudavida.